Question: Should I Send Flowers to the Funeral or Memorial Service? If so, what sort of arrangement is appropriate?
If you want to send flowers, you may have them delivered to the funeral home or to the home of the family of the deceased. However, if the family has requested a donation to a charity, you should honor that request.
Funeral flowers vary according to region, custom, and personal preference. You may choose a nice arrangement in a bowl or vase, or you can select from a variety of funeral wreaths. Most florists will deliver to the funeral home so the flowers can be seen during the visitation. They will also deliver them to the gravesite for the funeral or afterward.
If you send flowers, a brief note of sympathy attached is appropriate. Here are some suggestions for what to write:
- Our prayers are with you during this difficult time.
- Pease accept our deepest sympathy.
- We are praying for your comfort in knowing how much [name of the deceased] was respected and loved.
- We will always remember [name of the deceased] for her generosity and kind spirit.
- He will remain in our hearts forever.
Some people may request a donation to a charity in lieu of flowers. Honor this and follow it up with a note to the family of the deceased, letting them know.